Thursday 12 August 2010

This time again

Nearly all the blogs I've subscribed to have posted something about Ramadan. It's all part of the unique Ramadan atmosphere. You know the atmosphere I'm talking about. Not just the spiritual changes we undergo with the change of month, but the atmosphere that comes with the change of routine, i.e. when people are willingly waking hours before dawn to pray and begin their fasts, when TV channels are blasting Live Taraweh Prayers instead of EastEnders, when visits to the musjid become more frequent and when there's a general feeling of calm in your household because everyone's trying their best to be nice to one another.

Yup, it's a wonderful atmosphere. Even with its yearly moon-sighting dramas and Taraweh 'burping episodes' that Baba Ali sums up perfectly:



Anyway, I apologise if there are any non Muslims reading this who don't know much about Ramadan and therefore don't know what I'm talking about. The Cover Fell Off gives a brief explanation on her blog. Just to add to that, 'Taraweh' is the name of a special prayer performed during the nights of Ramadan.

Before I end this post, I'd like to draw your attention to an advert that I found hilarious before I got the point of it:



Needless to say this is a necessary reminder for us all. We're blessed with an entire range of different foods to break our fasts with, but some people only have water and dates, if they're lucky.




Feed the Fasting-Islamic Relief

No comments:

Post a Comment