Monday 6 September 2010

Everybody should have a Creative Outlet

I was watching an Outlandish video before Ramadan called Let Off Some Stream. Have you seen it? It’s got bizarre lyrics and some really bright outfits, but that’s just Outlandish, it’s part of what makes them irrationally brilliant. Anyway, amazingly, I took some good advice from that video.

Everybody should have a creative outlet, a little something to turn to when the going gets tough. It could be anything really- drawing, carving, calligraphy, paper making, drum-bashing, song writing, graphics designing- anything. Never let your ‘creative talent’ stress you though -if something that you’re supposed to be enjoying becomes stressful then it essentially defeats the purpose. That doesn’t mean to say it shouldn’t be a bit challenging. Writing for me can be challenging, but I love it. When my creative writing course demands that I write the dreaded poem and it goes well, I love it, I feel like it’s my greatest achievement in the world. (I’m really not much of a poet).

I’ve been scribbling stories from the age of two. My dad actually saved some of my ‘scribble books,’ they look like they’re written in another language. Apparently however, I was always able to decipher my scribbles and tell the same story each time, even after I’d written fifty different scribble-books or so, so maybe I should be credited for creating my own language?

Anyway, I have friends and cousins who are amazing artists’ mashaAllah. Drawing is not particularly my strong point, so I always admire people who can draw and sketch really well. Also, to date I have broken every sewing machine that I’ve used apart from one perhaps, so I also really admire people who sew and make their own clothes. However, I will give myself space to say that I’m much better with piping bags and cookie cutters than I am with a needles and thread, so a more enduring hobby of mine has been cake baking and more recently chocolate making. This Ramadan however I’ve discovered another little creative outlet that I think I’m going to pursue— card making. I never realised that fiddling with bits of ribbon and craft paper could be so satisfying. Trying to replace the time I would usually spend eating with other activities I think, has made me more productive!

I even took some pictures:



Those of you who know me will probably be getting one through your doors in a couple of days. Eid Mubarak! :)

To wrap up this post, what are your creative outlets? Feel free to leave a comment. Or not.

5 comments:

  1. Nice cards sis! btw I just watched the video, great song!! You have inspired me to get back to my creativity

    ReplyDelete
  2. alhumdullilah I'm glad to hear that! Yeah it is a good song, I didn't like it at first but it grew on me :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asalaam Alaikum Waramatullahi Wabarakatuh.
    Bismillah.

    Nice blog, masha'Allah. Keep up the good work.

    Check out my blog: www.islamicpoet.com/blog

    iPOET.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As-salamu alaykum,

    I hope that you don't mind me posting a comment on something that you had written sometime ago.

    I believe that as human beings, being created in the 'image' of our Creator, it is in our nature (fitra) the desire to create. Furthermore, as man, we are somewhat obliged to create beautiful works, for God is beautiful and loves beauty (Muslim).

    I think that it is important that we realise what the goal of our creative efforts actually is - namely, whether it is an exercise for parading our talents - i.e. to inflate our egos - or whether it is done as a means of worship.

    By 'worship' I have in mind the broadest sense of the word, which can include the eating of food, to the writing of inspired poetry - the trick, if there ever was one, lies in right intention.

    I suppose that in the modern ambience, there exists a bold divide between the two attitudes - on the one hand the modern artistic 'intelligentsia' believes that creativity is an ends to itself, and not a means for approaching something 'higher' (i.e. they adopt the so-called 'art for art's sake' ethic); on the other, some jurists might be quick to label any artistic forms that exist outside of the fold of the traditional Islamic arts (which I believe that within the Islamic framework, are the highest expressions of human creativity) as bid'ah.

    Arguing the one in favour of the other would require a much lengthier post, which is against the spirit of the original article, so I'll keep it at that. God knows best.

    Making cards for Eid (and by the looks of it, intricately made ones at that!) sounds like a very fruitful way to spend your time. (It reminds me of how Christians might make palm crosses for Palm Sunday celebrations, which strikes to me as - religious differences aside - a wonderful means of prayer/worship).

    As to what my own creative outlets are, I will occasionally write; until recently I was playing the acoustic guitar, and was very much into web design, but I found these to be more a source of stress and frustration than a source of satisfaction, which as you rightly say, sort of defeats the purpose of making the effort.

    Over the summer I had tried to get into drawing Islamic geometrical shapes, which despite the little time spent, I found to be rewarding. Insha'Allah and time permitting I hope to get back into this.

    Kind regards,

    Luth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walaikum Assalaam,
    thank you for that comment, you shed a lot of light on the subject of creativity in Islam and I think that in itself would be an interesting blog post or article. Like you said, arguing one against the other requires a lengthy post!

    I hope you do find the time to get back into drawing islamic geometrical shapes. MashaAllah, that's an extremely intricate form of art which reauires a lot of talent, all the best with it.

    ReplyDelete