Wednesday 21 July 2010

CAKE FETISH

As much as I hate to be cliché I have to admit I’m the type of person to bake a cake and take a snap—or two. Over the years I’ve accumulated a fair number of pictures of cakes.
This was my brother's graduation cake, with truffles and chocolate stripes. It was my most successful and most difficult bake-the chocolates took longer than the cake itself!
A bit of a bog standard I made for my flatmate's birthday. There was no electric whisk at uni so I whipped the cream by hand, by which time I hardly had any energy for decorating. That should explain the chocolate buttons.
This one I did with the cousins. The end result of watching Nigella on TV, scanning the internet for ages in search of  the recipe and breaking my mum's food processor was some chocolate biscuits that resembled crumbly cakes.

A Birthday cake, and  possibly the prettiest I've ever had. Courtesy of my lovely friend Sara!
The Lurpak ad reassures me that 'it's ok to bake imperfect looking cakes.' Ok, these cakes looked imperfect , but they were the tastiest things I'd baked in ages, which is really an achievement when you consider that half of them were burnt.  

Driveway Cake Sale
Today I witnessed one of the most successful cakes sales ever- a driveway cake sale at my cousin’s.  I've learnt some tricks of the trade, namely that perfect weather and perfectly decorated fairy cakes equals a sell out in less than an hour. I’m tempted to try this myself.

1 comment:

  1. yummy... the pics do look delicious! i should learn to decorate cakes as you did, usually the cake i bake would be relatively simple in terms of decorations. next time u bake something, do let me taste some! (^_^)

    ReplyDelete