Thursday 31 December 2009

Speaking of New Year resoultions...

Ok so admittedly I never have any, but I thought that maybe for next year (i.e. in less than 24 hours) it would be good to have this one:
Forget me, me, me, focus on charity!
Yes, corny, but necessary!
Before I was a student I was better at it as life didn’t revolve around mobile bills, food and train tickets. (And yes the more than occasional restaurant visit). Now I only remember to give charity when it comes bearing a free three-course dinner tag on an ISOC poster.
I can see those heads nodding with guilty recognition.

It’s time for some change I think. I want to make this resolution and keep it. I want to bring back some of my year ten enthusiasm when I honestly thought a walk around the park with water balloons was a good way of raising money.
Although my creativity’s hopefully spiralled upwards since then I know it’s impossible to organise events all the time, so for anyone who thinks they need a new year’s resolution like mine then I suggest a charity chart: twelve donations, one at the end of each month where you mark on who you donated to, and how much. Obviously it doesn’t have to be loads, we’re students after all :) You can alternate the charities on a monthly basis and make one off payments through their websites.

The first two on my list at the moment are islamic relief amd iera.
And don’t forget the classic penny jar either. Collect for one year and add it to your December donation. I remember doing that one year and getting £3.98. Maybe this year I’ll reach £4.00.

"Save yourself from hellfire by giving even half a date-fruit in charity." Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 2, Hadith 49
"The believer's shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his charity." Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 604



1 comment:

  1. you said to comment so i have :) really good on ya for having a new years resolution. and a good one. i wrote this huge long post about not having one but it was really rubbish and then i found these amazing emily ryan and wunderkind dresses and i decided to post pictures of them instead. sadly, it seems my pennies are focused on more shallow objects. i would advise you to not visit my blog for a while because if you do you probably wont get to £4, youll probably go -£400 instead. and some poor orphans would really lose out. xx

    ReplyDelete