Sunday 6 June 2010

After the Gaza Flotilla Attacks This Novel Hits Home More

This is just a quick post about a novel that my cousin (thecoverfelloff) gave me to read last week. ‘Where The Streets Had A Name.’ It is written by Randa Abdel-Fattah, author of ‘Does My Head Look Big in This?,’ an Australian author of half Palestinian heritage. She writes about Palestine in this novel, more specifically, about a young girl who lives in Bethlehem and has to deal with life under occupation. She writes about curfews, deaths, checkpoints, refugees, soldiers, peace activists, families and weddings and somehow manages to infuse humour and light heartedness with underlying pain and grief. The story narrates the journey of the young girl Hayaat, as she tries to sneak into Jerusalem illegally, and along the way readers get just a snippet of what living in Palestine is like. It’s enough however, to get bleary eyes by the end of it. If there’s one thing that stands out in the novel more than anything, it’s the complete sense of loss conveyed through the nostalgic descriptions of occupied Palestinian homeland. Read it, and you’ll know what I mean. It may be a teen fiction novel but it’s beautifully done.

6 comments:

  1. You have summed it up perfectly. at 2 oclock in the morning, I wasnt just bleary eyed reading this book, rather I was kind of weeping hysterically. sleep deprivation. I am very liking the new layout by the way, purrty. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! yeah actually you're right, i think 'bleary eyed' should be replaced with 'floods of tears.' Remind me i need to give it back to you before nab gets fined! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamualaikum sister..
    i'd love to read this book. will try to search for it in the bookstore next time, insyaAllah..

    btw, i enjoyed your blog a lot too. mind if i link my blog to yours?

    >> humayrasolehah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walaykum Assalaam,
    No not at all, i'm glad you enjoyed reading it. Btw the same author has written two other books, Does My Head Look Big in This? and 10 Things I Hate About Me which are quite good as well. I don't know if you've read them already but they're very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had read Does My Head Look Big in This? a while back, and enjoyed it a lot. i'll try and find the others, insyaAllah.. though it is a bit difficult to find them in my country, unfortunately.

    I linked your blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I see, you live in Malaysia don't you?
    I've been there once and all I can say is that is the most beautiful country I've ever visited mA. I loved it.

    Thanks for linking, I look forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete